CArdiovascular HEalth in Ambulatory Care Research Team
Through its research, CANHEART, a team of investigators from 5 Ontario universities, strives to
- Improve the community-based care provided to patients with cardiovascular risk factors and/or chronic conditions
- Stimulate health system changes and quality improvement activities, resulting in better patient outcomes
The CANHEART investigators received a 5 year Institute for Circulatory and Respiratory Health (ICRH) – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Team Grant focused on Chronic Disease Risk and Intervention Strategies in 2012. Led by Dr. Jack Tu, the research team is composed of investigators from across Ontario and includes several members who, for over a decade, worked together as part of the Canadian Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Team (CCORT). A list of CANHEART investigators is available here.
CANHEART’s research program addresses 3 main themes:
1. Improving ambulatory cardiovascular care
CANHEART’s CIHR Team grant focuses on this theme, and involves 3 inter-related studies:
- Developing indicators of high-quality outpatient care measurable using large, population-based databases in Ontario
- Studying how differences in how care is provided influences differences in the rates of new cardiovascular events in Ontario’s local health integration networks (LHINs/subLHINs)
- Developing public report cards and preparing academic papers, describing how outpatient cardiac and stroke care are delivered across different regions in Ontario
2. Improving our understanding of ethnicity and the incidence of cardiovascular risk factors and diseases
This CANHEART research initiative is funded in part through grants from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Using CANHEART data resources, the CANHEART investigators are engaged in studies focused on improving our understanding of cardiovascular risk factors and diseases in different ethnic minority groups living in Canada. This work is of growing importance for Canada and other developed countries, as ethnic diversity continues to increase over time.
3. Improving heart health in Canada
Working with the Heart and Stroke Foundation, CANHEART is developing measures to assess temporal trends in heart health in Canadians, to assist the Heart and Stroke Foundation and other stakeholders with their efforts to improve the cardiovascular health of Canadians.